We know polyester is a fabric that has certain qualities that make it a great choice for clothing. There's a bit of a stigma when it comes to fashion, as this is a man-made fabric rather than a natural choice like silk, cotton, or wool.
Polyester is a general term for any fabric or textile made using polyester yarns or fibers. It is short for synthetic man-made polymer, and as a special material, it is most commonly referred to as polyethylene terephthalate (PET). It is made from a mixture of ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. It sounds very scientific, but basically, polyester is a type of plastic. When made into polyester fabric, it can be used to make clothing, furniture, textiles, etc. If you love your clothes, you probably already know what they're made of if you check their labels. If natural fabrics are mixed with polyester, you'll see the percentage of each fabric on the label.
Features of polyester fabric:
1. Polyester is very durable and can resist many chemicals
2. This is a popular fabric in the fashion industry because it is resistant to shrinkage and stretch. It is also wrinkled and abrasion resistant
3. The fibers used to make polyester are very strong and lightweight
4. Fiber is easy to dye
5. It holds its shape well
6. Polyester fabric is easy to care for and can be washed and dried at home
7. It is a quick-drying fabric, so it is a popular choice for outdoor clothing.
Because polyester is thermoplastic or heat-sensitive, it is such a popular clothing choice. This means that 100% polyester fabrics can be given permanent pleats and decorative shapes and patterns can be laser cut into them. They are also highly stain-resistant, making them ideal for cleaning.