Most corduroy fabrics are washable. However, garments such as jackets made of corduroy fabric often require dry cleaning due to the construction of the garment.
Corduroy fabric shrinks along the length of the fabric, so it's important to wash at the correct temperature. You also need to make sure the pile is not crushed or deformed.
Here are our washing tips:
1. Check the garment care label to see if it is safe to wash and at what temperature. Corduroy fabric garments are usually machine washable as this fabric is very durable.
2. Button/zip the garment and turn it over before washing.
3. Do not overfill the washing machine as this will crush the fluff on corduroy fabric clothes. Choose a gentle wash cycle with short spins and, if possible, use a setting that reduces creases.
4. The dyes in corduroy fabric will fade, so for dark clothing, please wash with cold water, if necessary, wash the clothing alone or with other similar colored clothing. For dark clothes, you can add a few tablespoons of salt to the garment's first wash to help reduce the amount of dye transfer. Light-colored corduroy fabric garments can be washed in warm (not hot) water with similarly colored items (as long as the wash label allows this).
5. Never wash corduroy fabric with any fabric that will produce fluff, such as towels, wool, felt, and wool pullovers, because the fluff will adhere to the corduroy fabric. Lint is the name given to the buildup of textile fibers and other materials visible on clothing.